Retail Theft Answers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Retail Theft Answers

Answers from experts on Retail theft and/or Loss Prevention issues and concerns

You are not connected. Please login or register

Not cooperating

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Not cooperating  Empty Not cooperating Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:54 am

Admin

Admin

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Wisconsin.

Good afternoon.

Here is my scenario:

Yesterday I was falsely accused of shoplifting at a (store name removed) department store. I had taken a lot of merchandise into a fitting room, none of it worked, and I left the product in the fitting room, taking along only the shoes I wanted to purchase. I took said merchandise to the cashier, paid for it, and left.

On my way out, a male in his 40's followed me out, threw a plastic badge in my face (That said (store name removed) Store Security", not overly impressed by this psychological tactic), and told me to come back in the store. I inquired as to why, and he said "Because you stole something." At this point I almost lost my cool, and the girl who was manning the fitting rooms was sitting there with two tags from what I assume were some product. I told him that I did not take anything. I kept my verbalization to a minimal. He continued to accuse me and tell me to go back inside, at one point stepping in front of me and to the side, I assume so I felt "cornered". (I'm a 27 year old woman, standing at 5'5". I felt he was trying to physically intimidate me, and this upset me more than anything.)

At this point I had had enough. I told him he was welcome to check my bag and I would open my coat so he could check (but not touch) my person, but I would not be following him back inside. He ignored everything I said and just kept repeating "You need to come inside". I finally told him I did not take anything, I offered to have you check, and now I am leaving. I walked towards my car, got in, and left. He followed me for awhile yelling, in the parking lot, "This only admits your guilt!"

I assume they took my drivers license down and such. Which is fine, I didn't do anything.

So what happens now? I haven't heard from the police or the store since yesterday. If I do receive something, what are my steps to be taken?

souce: Expertlaw

https://retailtheftanswers.forumotion.com

2Not cooperating  Empty Re: Not cooperating Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:58 am

Legal_Eagle

If your story is accurate this is called a "Bad Stop" in the Loss Prevention world. The officer who detained you can be written up or fired for this. If you are contacted by Police you are NOT obligated to answer any questions and should seek legal advice from a licensed Attorney right away. Any attempt on your part to prove your innocence could make things worse. However with no real evidence of theft (since there was no theft) it might be tough for DA to make a case.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum