Retail Theft Answers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Retail Theft Answers

Answers from experts on Retail theft and/or Loss Prevention issues and concerns

You are not connected. Please login or register

Was my record expunged?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Was my record expunged? Empty Was my record expunged? Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Mrs.Shrinkmaster

So, I was arrested in 2010 for shoplifting some stupid 20 dollar ring. I was broke at the time, and my best friend was always buying me stuff. I felt bad, she mentioned how she liked this owl ring at sears, i tried to steal it, retarded me got caught.
Fast forward, at the "trial" I'm not even sure what happened. I walked up, the judge said "case dismissed" and I did a misdemeanor diversion program. After that I was able to google my name and find everything about my arrest, see my mugshot, and court case. I've been checking it over the years and have always been able to see it. Now, when I google my name I can't find anything, no mugshot, no arrest info, no court case info.
My problem is that I'm in college getting my bachelor's in education. I've wanted to be a teacher since I was 5 years old. I just got hired at a daycare and I have to go through a background check. Do you think that since this happened 5 years ago and I went through the program it was expunged? Or will they be able to see my arrest info?

2Was my record expunged? Empty Re: Was my record expunged? Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Legal_Eagle

Actually no it wasn't. Why a simple Google search showed you mug shot I cannot say but you should have investigated then not now. Anyone willing to pay for the type of background check that includes arrests or more details can see what happened. If you were part of a plea deal that had you partake in a Diversion program then your record should not include a conviction as Judge stated then "case dismissed". You can safely answer any question asking about convictions as no.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]